Preparation time - 10 minutes
Soaking time - 5 to 6 hours
Fermenting time - 6 to 7 hours
Cooking time - 12 to 15 minutes
Ingredients to make Dhokla:
2 cups rice
1 cup gram dal
2 table spoon sour curd
1 tea spoon fenugreek seeds
2 tea spoon crushed green chillies
1 tea spoon crushed ginger
Salt to taste
A pinch turmeric powder
1/2 tea spoon red chilli powder
1/2 tea spoon soda bi carb
Oil for greasing
For tadka - tempering:2 table spoon oil
1 tea spoon mustard seeds
1 tea spoon sesame seeds
8 to 10 curry leaves
A pinch asafoetida
Finely chopped coriander leaves
To serve with:
Tomato ketch up
Method to make Dhokla:
- Wash and soak rice and gram dal in separate container for 5 to 6 hours.
- Add fenugreek seeds to any one container to soak.
- After soaking drain out excess water and grind coarsely.
- Add salt and sour curd to batter and keep a side covered at warm place for minimum 6 to 7 hours or till fermentation.
- After fermenting add green chillies, ginger and turmeric powder to better Mix well.
- Let the steamer come to boiling temp. Grease the steamer plate and put in hot steamer.
- Add soda bi carb to better and mix well. Pore the mixture in plate with a thin layer. Sprinkle some red chilli powder to it.
- Steam for 10 to 12 minutes.
- When ready remove from steamer and let it cool at room temp.
- Mean while heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds to it. When they crackles add asafoetida, sesame deeds and curry leaves. Spread the tempering over ready dhokla plate.
- Cut them in desire shape and size.
- Transfer dhoklas in serving plate and garnish with chopped coriander.
- Serve hot dhokla with tomato ketch up and green chutney.
Recipe by Naiya Sheth.