Preparation time - 25 to 30 minutes
Cooking time 30 to 40 minutes
Serves - 4 person
Ingredients to make Patra:
200 grams colocasia leaves
For besan mixture:
200 grams gram flour - besan
1 tea spoon ginger paste
1/2 tea spoon turmeric powder
Salt to taste
2 table spoon sugar
1/2 cup whisked curd
1 tea spoon lemon juice
1 tea spoon soda bi carb
2 table spoon lukewarm oil
For green paste:
1 cup chopped coriander
4 to 5 green chillies
2 table spoon oil
1 1/2 tea spoon mustard seeds
1 table spoon sesame seeds
1 tea spoon asafoetida
1 tea spoon dry fenugreek - methi powder
1/2 cup water
Finely chopped coriander leaves
Grated fresh coconut
Method to make Patra:
- Remove thick vein from colocasia leaves and wash them properly. Dry them on kitchen towel.
For green paste:
- Crush coriander and green chillies to smooth paste with little water.
For besan paste:
- In a big bowl mix all ingredients excluding soda bi carb and oil.
- Add green paste to it and mix well. Sprinkle soda bi carb over it and then pour lukewarm oil on it.
- Whisk properly by hand or whisker.
How to proceed:
- On a flat surface place a colocasia leaf with the tip facing towards you. Spread above mixture over it evenly with fingers. Place another leaf over it and again spread some mixture over it.
- Now fold both leaves from left and right hand side about 1". Spread some mixture over it.
- Roll it tightly from down to up direction.
- Repeat the same for remaining leaves.
- Heat water in steamer and place the roll on it. Steam for 20 to 25 minutes or till cooked.
- Let them cool at room temperature.
- When cool remove from steamer and cut in thin slices.
- In a big pan heat oil and add mustard seeds. When they crackles add asafoetida, methi powder and sesame seeds. Now add water and sliced patras. Cook till water absorbs in patras.
- When ready transfer in serving plate and garnish with coriander leaves and fresh coconut.
- Serve hot and mouthwatering patras as snacks with tea or as side dish in lunch or dinner.