Recipe by Naiya Sheth: Khandvi is a very popular snack of India - Gujarat. This can be called low cal recipe also. But actually, it has a long process to make khandvi on fire. To avoid stirring I tried to make it in the microwave. so here it’s an easy homemade recipe for khandvi in a microwave.
Cooking time – 8 to 10 minutes
Serves – 4 people
Ingredients to make Khandvi:
1 cup very fine gram flour (besan)
1 tablespoon refined flour
2 cups buttermilk
½ teaspoon crushed green chilly
½ teaspoon crushed ginger
½ teaspoon turmeric powder
Salt to taste
For tadka (vaghar):
2 tablespoon oil
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 pinch asafoetida
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
2 to 3 green chilly
2 to 3 dry red chilly
8 to 10 curry leaves
½ teaspoon red chilli powder
Method to make Khandvi:
- In a big microwave proof bowl, mix flours, buttermilk and salt and cook for 3 minutes at MICRO HI.
- Add turmeric powder and crushed ginger and chilli paste. Again cook for 3 minutes at MICRO HI.
- Remove from microwave and spread a very thin layer on a flat surface. Let it cool for 2 minutes.
- Cut thin long slices and roll them. Assemble them on a serving dish.
- Mix all the ingredients of vaghar in a microwave proof bowl and cook for 1 minute at MICRO HI.
- Garnish with chopped coriander and grated coconut.
- Hot and healthy Khandvi is ready to serve.
Tips to make Khandvi:
- Tadka can be made on fire also. For that heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds to it, when it crackles add asafoetida, sesame seeds, curry leaves and both chillies.
- Cooking time may differ by the brand. Check before spreading.