Preparation time - 10 minutes
Cooking time - 10 to 15 minutes
Makes - 15 to 17 puran poli approx.
Ingredients to make Puran Poli:
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 table spoon oil
Dry rice flour for rolling
Ghee for frying or smearing
For puran - stuffing:
1 cup toovar dal
1 cup sugar
2 table spoon ghee
3 to 4 saffron strands
1/2 tea spoon cardamom powder
To serve with:
Method to make Puran Poli:
- Mix whole wheat flour and oil, knead soft dough from it with sufficient water. Take some drops of oil on palm and again knead dough for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Cover it and keep aside for 15 minutes. After again knead dough and make equal size balls from it. Cover and keep aside.
- Wash and soak toovar dal in warm water for 15 minutes.
- Pressure cook it with sufficient water. ( about 1 cup water for 1 cup dal.)
- When cooked transfer it in a microwave proof bowl and add ghee and sugar to it. Mix well.
- Cook for 3 minutes in microwave at HI.
- Cook till it is ready stir occasionally. Making time may be different as the make and temp. of the microwave oven.
- Prick a spoon in the middle of the bowl and if it stands without support your puran is ready.
- Transfer it in a flat dish and let it cool at room temp.
- When cool make equal size balls from it.
- Roll out 1 portion of the dough till it is of 3"diameter, place a ball of filling at the centre and fold the edges of dough over filling. Seal it properly and cut the extra dough.
- Flatten the dough and again roll carefully till desire size.
- Cook on the tavi - griddle at medium flame till light brown. Apply ghee on it and fry. Remove from griddle and garnish with caster sugar and sliced almonds and pistachio.
- Repeat the same for remaining.
- Hot and yummy Puran poli is ready to serve. Serve it with gujarati kadhi and shkhi bhaji.
Tips for puran poli:
- Puran can be cooked on fire also, but it will take so much time and total attention.
- Even frying can be avoided, in that case, remove puran poli from tavi when light brown and smear ghee on both the sides of puran poli.
- For better taste serve hot.