Preparation time - 10 minutes
Cooking time - 30minutes
Ingredients to make Sambhar:1 cup toovar dal
1 table spoon mung dal
200 gms bottle gourd - pieces
6 to 8 drumsticks - pieces (opt.)
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
6 to 7 curry leaves
1 pinch asafoetida
2 tablespoon sambhar masala
2 small onions - finely chopped
2 tablespoon tamarind powder
1 tablespoon chopped coriander
1big tomato - finely chopped
1 teaspoon onion garlic paste
2 tablespoon oil
2 to 3 whole dry red chilly
salt to taste
Method to make Sambhar:
- Wash the dal thoroughly and add 4 cups of water.
- Pressure cook the dal until soft. Blend the cooked dal in a mixer. Cook drum sick, half of the onion and bottle gourd with dal.
- Soak the tamarind in a little water and keep aside for 30 minutes. Rub the tamarind by hand and strain. Add to the dal mixture.
- Heat the oil in another pan and fry the mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds until they begin to crackle. Add the curry leaves and whole red chilly and fry for 1/2 minutes.
- Add chopped onion and garlic paste to it fry for 2 minutes. Add chopped tomato to it and fry till tomato is soft. Add sambhar masala and all dry masala to it. Fry for 1 minute.
- Add the mixture to dal and let it come to the boil. Add paste and boil for at least 5 to 7 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped coriander.