Cooking time - 30 minutes
Serves - 4 people
Ingredients to make Dal Fry:
1/2 cup mung dal - yellow
1/2 cup toovar dal
1/2 cup chana dal -gram dal
2 dry red whole chilly
1 teaspoon ginger paste
1 teaspoon garlic paste
1 big onion finely chopped
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 small blanched tomato finely chopped
Salt to taste
1 tablespoon ghee
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 pinch asafoetida
Fresh coriander leaves
To serve with:
1 tablespoon oil
1 tablespoon ghee - clarified butter
2 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/2 teaspoon asafoetida
1/2 teaspoon chopped ginger
1/2 teaspoon chopped garlic
1 tablespoon red chilli powder - Kashmiri
1 dry red Kashmiri chilli
Method to make Dal Fry:
- Wash and soak dals together for at least 30 minutes. (To reduce cooking time.)
- Pressure cook them till the dals are tender. Keep aside; let it come to room temperature.
- In another pan heat oil and ghee and add cumin seeds, when seeds crackle add asafoetida and then add onion.
- Fry till onion turns transparent. Now add ginger garlic paste and whole red chilli and stir.
- Add tomato and cook till oil appears.
- Add properly boiled dals to it. Add spices and cook until boiling.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Hot and delicious Dal fry is ready to serve. Serve it with jeera rice.
For extra tempering:
- Heat oil and ghee in a tempering pot and add cumin seeds to it.
- When they crackle add asafoetida, ginger and garlic to it. At last add dry chilli and red chilli powder to it.
- Spread the ready temper over ready dal at the time of serving.
Recipe by Naiya Sheth.