Preparation time - 15 to 20 minutes
Fermenting time - 6 to 7 hours
Baking time - 55 to 60 minutes
Serves - 6 person
Ingredients to make Handvo:
200 grams handva flour
200 grams yellow corn flour
200 grams Idli batter
1/4 cup semolina
1/4 cup curd
1 lemon juice
1 teaspoon soda bi carb
1 cup grated cabbage
1/2 cup grated carrot
1/4 cup soaked and boiled moraiyo
1/4 cup fresh sweet corn
3 tablespoon crushed green peas
Salt to taste
2 tablespoon crushed green chillies
1 teaspoon ginger paste
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
2 teaspoon red chilli powder
2 lemon juice
4 tablespoon sugar
3 to 4 tablespoon hot oil
1 tablespoon fruit salt
Oil for greasing oven tray
3 tablespoon oil
1 tablespoon mustard seeds
2 tablespoon sesame seeds
1/2 teaspoon asafoetida
1 tablespoon red chilli powder
To serve with:
Method to make Handvo:
- Heat water in a pan, meanwhile mix idli batter, yellow corn flour, semolina and handva flour in another big bowl.
- When water is hot add curd, lemon juice and soda bicarb to it. Mix well to above flour mixture. Make the semi-liquid batter and put it in the warm place for 6 to 7 hours covered.
- Preheat O.t.G. AT 300`C (maximum) with both top and bottom grill on.
- Crush moraiyo and sweet corn to smooth paste.
- Mix all spices and vegetables to fermented handvo batter.
- Add above moraiya mixture to it. At last add hot oil and mix well.
- Appl oil on the oven tray. Meanwhile, add fruit salt to handvo batter and mix well. Transfer the batter to the oven tray. Make sure to fill half tray.
- Now get ready the temper. For that heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds. When they crackle add asafoetida, sesame seeds and red chilli powder. Spread it over handvo batter in the oven tray.
- Bake for 55 to 60 minutes at 300` temp. or till upper layer is crispy.
- Hot and delicious handvo is ready to serve. Traditionally it is served with oil. But now it can be served with tomato ketchup and green chutney.
- Ready made idli batter should be used but if it is not available idli flour or homemade idli batter can be used.
- For handva flour also it can be available at grocery shop but it can be made at home by mixing 1 cup rice, 1/4 cup toovar dal and 2 tablespoon chanadal's (gram dal) coarse mixture.
- For moraiya mixture soak it in warm water for2 hours and then cook in microwave for 3 minutes.